IS ALCOHOL-FREE WINE SAFE TO DRINK DURING PREGNANCY OR BREASTFEEDING?
WHY IS DRINKING ALCOHOL, SUCH AS WINE UNSAFE WHILE PREGNANT?
According to Swiss Stem Cell Science SA, high alcohol content in wine can negatively affect pregnancy in a number of ways. Similarly, according to Addiction Suisse breastfeeding can also be adversely affected by the mother's alcohol consumption. Findings show that consuming alcohol during pregnancy:
- Slows down foetal growth
- May assists in premature birth.
- Could become the cause of miscarriage
- Increases the chances of stillbirth
- Could become the reason for FASD (Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder), a range of mental, physical, behavioural, and learning disabilities.
- Alcoholic consumption reduces milk production in the mother and thus decreases the duration of breastfeeding.
- A mother who feeds her child within 2-3 hours of drinking alcohol increases the chances of alcohol passing through the milk to the child, affecting the child’s health.
IS ALCOHOL-FREE WINE SAFE TO DRINK WHILE PREGNANT, AND WHY?
First, you may want to know how alcohol-free wine is made, and how this process differs from that of alcoholic wine.
While many "alcohol-free" wines are simply sweet fruit juices marketed as wine, authentic alcohol-free wines go through the complete vinification process before being dealcoholized.
The most popular method: The entirely vinified wine goes through a vacuum distillation process that heats the wine to around 35 degrees celsius, enabling the alcohol to evaporate without losing its taste or cooking the wine. The result is a true-to-taste wine that holds flavour and structure, but not alcohol.
The second, less popular method: is through reverse osmosis. Although this process has been proven successful, the technique is not as popular as it is deemed environmentally unfriendly due to excess water use and the fact that the ethanol is too weak to be repurposed.
Consequently, we know that wines that are totally alcohol-free cannot harm a pregnant or nursing woman. So, how much alcohol does alcohol-free wine have?
ARE NON ALCOHOLIC DRINKS REALLY ALCOHOL-FREE AND SAFE TO DRINK DURING PREGNANCY?
It’s a great question!
The short answer is it depends. Not quite the answer you were looking for, right?
But before you decide to put down your glass, let’s take a second to better understand the term “alcohol-free”.
In most European countries, the terms alcohol-free and non-alcoholic basically mean the same thing. It counts as alcohol-free as long as it’s less than 0.05% of alcohol at maximum.
Many people are surprised to learn that alcohol can be found in lots of everyday foods and drinks.
- A litre of apple or orange juice can contain up to 0.7g of alcohol per litre.
- A ripe banana? 0.2g per 100g.
- White wine vinegar? 2.6g per litre.
- A glass of alcohol-free wine, limited to 0.05% alcohol, on the other hand, will contain just under 0.1g of alcohol.
As you can see, alcohol is present in many of our everyday foods and will go unnoticed when consumed in moderation.
We could be wrong, but it’s fair to assume that you’ve never had a hangover because you ate too many bananas or drank too much apple juice, right?
In comparison, a single glass of 13% wine or a pint of 4% beer can contain approx. 18.4g of alcohol.
The amount of alcohol in alcohol-free wines, and the foods and drinks you consume in your daily life is nowhere near enough to get you drunk. And, thankfully, given the close to non-existent alcohol percentage, it doesn’t provide the alcoholic sensory cues that make you want to drink alcoholic drinks in the first place.
WHAT ARE THE BEST ALCOHOL-FREE OPTIONS FOR MUMS TO BE?
Pregnancy is often an exciting experience for new mothers; a time to enjoy and value every moment that the new experience of pregnancy brings. However, pregnancy is not a joyful journey 100% of the time; since for some, it comes with restrictions.
The good news is that VE Refinery is looking to make everyone part of the party to ensure that no guest feels left out by opting for a non-alcoholic wine, aperitif, spirit alternative, cocktail or basically booze free version of your favourite tipple.
8 BEST ALCOHOL-FREE OPTIONS FOR PREGNANT AND BREAST-FEEDING MOTHERS
Below are the eight best non-alcoholic cocktails that are 100% safe for pregnant mothers and sure to make any celebration a stylish occasion.
Thomson & Scott Noughty Alcohol-Free Organic Vegan Sparkling Chardonnay
Noughty alcohol-free organic vegan sparkling Chardonnay has been dealcoholised to retain the rich flavour of this beautifully crafted bottle.
With 2.9g of sugar per 100ml, it’s almost half the sugar content of other non-alcoholic sparkling wines. And with just 14 calories per glass, it's the perfect answer to a hangover free celebration.
Tamlyn Currin of jancisrobinson.com, one of the world's most prominent forums in the field of wine journalism says of Noughty - “It is, hands down, the best alcohol-free sparkling wine I have ever tasted, and one of the best alcohol-free wines I've tasted overall.”
Thomson & Scott Noughty Alcohol-Free Organic Vegan Sparkling Rosé.
Noughty Rosé alcohol-free organic vegan sparkling has been dealcoholised to retain the rich flavour of this beautifully crafted bottle.
With 4g of sugar per 100ml, it has almost half the sugar content of other non-alcoholic sparkling. And with just 18 calories per glass, it's the perfect answer to a hangover free celebration.
Alcohol-Free. Low Sugar. Organic. Vegan. Gluten-Free. B Corporation.
Celebrate anything Noughty.
APRTF Non-Alcoholic Aperitif
APRTF alcohol-free is a balanced and beautifully bitter 0.0% alcohol aperitif. Enjoy the rich taste and vibrant colour carrying notes of Cranberry’s natural tart cent accompanied by a touch of beautiful wormwood and orange bitterness.
APRTF bitter aperitif is a natural and healthier option with 1.4g of sugar and just 10 kcal per 50ml serving, the perfect aperitif with zero compromise on taste or style, and suited to any occasion.
Alcohol-Free. Low Sugar. Vegan. Gluten-Free.
Welcome to a new way of drinking.
FERAGAIA “Wild Earth” Distilled Alcohol-Free Spirit
Bold by nature, Feragaia is an alcohol-free spirit made from land and sea botanicals. True to its name, meaning ‘Wild Earth’, it is a product of windswept coastlines, open country and creative minds.
Feragaia is progressively distilled, blended and bottled in the far reaches of the Scottish Lowlands, an area governed by centuries of spirit innovation.
Amber in colour, with a taste of clean complexity and warming finish, this is an open call to cut out the noise and take in the moments worth savouring.
No sugar. No alcohol. No allergens. Gluten Free. B Corporation.
Drink something different.
This cocktail is an outstanding blend of strawberry, peach, and lime flavours with our Noughty Non-Alcoholic Organic Bio Chardonnay. Here to satisfy your wine cravings with a hint of fruity flavour.
- One sliced strawberry
- 4 sliced pieces of peach
- 2 sliced pieces of lime
- 120ml Noughty Alcohol-Free Organic Chardonnay
- Cut strawberry, peach, and lime into pieces (Size can vary as per your preference) with your kitchen knife
- Add strawberry slices, 4 peach slices, and 2 lime slices to your glass
- Add 120ml Non-Alcoholic Organic Chardonnay into that glass
- Stir the ingredients well
- Enjoy your alcohol-free sangria
Alcohol-Free Sparkling Mint Mocktail
Mint Mocktail is the best alcohol-free mocktail for you if you crave a drink with your meal during pregnancy. It is a splendid mix of our non-alcoholic organic Chardonnay, lime, and mint, that refreshes your dull mood. The mint can even helps remove nausea during pregnancy.
- 2 limes
- Mint leaves as per your desire
- 210ml Noughty Alcohol-free Organic Chardonnay
- Cut a lime in half and squeeze it into the glass
- Then add mint leaves
- Activate the mint leaves by pressing them against the glass
- Pour 210 Noughty Alcohol-Free Organic Chardonnay into the glass
- Give the ingredients a good stir
- Garnish the drink with one lime and more mint leaves to add an extra flavour
- Enjoy your meal with this drink.
Non-Alcoholic Rose Fizz
The Rosé lemonade is a great fusion of ingredients that gratify your longing for a fruity refreshment. The following recipe may involve many ingredients but is effortless to make.
- 750ml Noughty Alcohol-free Organic Rosé
- 20ml Elderflower Syrup
- 20ml honey syrup (optional)
- 750ml lime juice
- 750ml sparkling water
- 1 fresh sliced lime
- Mint leaves as per your desire
- 1 strawberry
- Pour all the liquid ingredients into a juicer
- Give them a good shake to blend them well
- Add ice and shake again to cool it down
- Pour rosé lemonade into a glass
- For extra taste, garnish your drink with lime, mint leaves, and strawberry
Alcohol-Free French 75
French 75 includes a marvellous blend of ingredients to curb your drink craving. The hint of mint and lime juice will refresh your mind.
- 1 fresh lemon
- 50ml non-alcoholic gin (optional)
- 25ml fresh lime juice
- 250ml Noughty Alcohol-free Organic Chardonnay
- Mint leaves
- Peel the lemon zest in a spiral shape and save the rest of the lemon for later use
- Add all the liquid ingredients to a juicer
- Give them a good shake
- Then add an ice cube and 60ml Noughty Alcohol-free Organic Chardonnay
- Shake again
- Garnish the drink with lemon zest and mint leaves
- Enjoy your drink with meals.
You’re invited to explore the finest of alcohol-free with zero compromise on taste or style. A luxurious, natural, low sugar, and vegan certified range of alcohol-free adult alternatives from the fastest growing brands and B Corporations - only available here in Switzerland.
Our thoughtfully crafted selection tastes good and does good and is best savoured slowly.